NukeSilo Community

It is currently 27 Sep 2024, 12:18

All times are UTC-05:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2009, 01:41 
Heavy Poster

This is more of a suggestion but I want to throw this out there as an idea and let people discuss. I and some others proposed ideas in ooc chat today and I've decided to post it up here.

I and many others believe that gunspawns should be removed from everywhere except probably the Police Department and maybe the Mayor's office. Why? Guns are too easily obtained because everyone is pretty much in an organization that provides free guns. Therefore, the value of a gun is pretty much worthless.

Now how about if we completely remove gunspawns for most organizations? Suddenly, a gun isn't something that's just tossed aside. Rarity gives things value. People now have three options:

1. Buy the license to buy a gun.
2. Buy the gun at a higher price from a weapons dealer.
3. Steal it from a police man.

What does this do? It actually allows weapon dealers to do their job well. Now there actually needs to be connections between organizations and weapon dealers. It also takes some effort and organization to go rob a bank effectively since you probably want to be all armed. There's plenty more that you can go think of yourself.

Now the weapon dealers actually need a way to obtain weapons to sell. I'm not saying they need spawns too but they should be able to buy guns from a separate and exclusive NPC shop that only weapon dealers have access to (just like drugs).

I'm thinking that dealers can choose to be part of a gang as the weapons dealer or just an indie gun dealer. However, only the weapon dealing individuals will have access to this gun NPC, not the entire organization. The problem with this though, is that it's being shared. So two rival groups will compete for this source and OOC problems may occur. So it may be better to just keep the dealers separate. My point is that guns don't have much real value due to the mafia and Yakuza having a free limitless supply of them. There's also the fact that most everyone is part of those two gangs. I just want to see less random shootouts just because everyone happens to have obtained a gun for free.

Oh yeah. I'm fine with KNIFE spawns.

Company Funds for Loans available from Moe - None.
Company Funds for Loans available from Darrell - $15,000

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2009, 05:56 
NukeSilo | Regular

Support this, because we usually get outgunned in mob/yak shootouts because we run out of ammo while the people we're shooting at have 5 gunspawns around them to replenish. But it might also lead to DM of cops, because as you listed as reason #3, killing a policeman is one way to gain a gun. But this leaves an extremely high possibility of DM'ed cops.

One other way is to have guns in item form, as they cost money so it gives them value, but the restriction is not limited too much.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2009, 07:53 
Staff Member

Wake wrote:
Support this, because we usually get outgunned in mob/yak shootouts because we run out of ammo while the people we're shooting at have 5 gunspawns around them to replenish. But it might also lead to DM of cops, because as you listed as reason #3, killing a policeman is one way to gain a gun. But this leaves an extremely high possibility of DM'ed cops.

One other way is to have guns in item form, as they cost money so it gives them value, but the restriction is not limited too much.

if they're in item form, they better come off with /disarm like drugs do with /drugsearch

[21:22] <@Supernuker> I wonder how you made it out of elementary school sometimes Toretto...
[21:22] <@Toretto> Elementary?
[21:26] <@Supernuker> ....

{AU} Vincetti [I'M NOT LOUIE]: is that someone jacking off?

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2009, 11:05 
Manager

I support this. Cops probably won't be killed for their weapons anymore than they are now, which is hardly at all, because that's obviously asking to be banned. As for having them as items, I'm afraid people would use that as an excuse to carry rifles in their back pockets.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2009, 11:35 
Heavy Poster

Maxwell Murder wrote:
I support this. Cops probably won't be killed for their weapons anymore than they are now, which is hardly at all, because that's obviously asking to be banned. As for having them as items, I'm afraid people would use that as an excuse to carry rifles in their back pockets.

Well they do run around with aks hidden in their pant legs anyway.

----------------------
Jack Johnson/Bruce Willis

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2009, 13:13 
Manager

Yes, and we must do our part to remedy that problem.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2009, 13:19 
NukeSilo | Light Poster

The problem with having no spawns is that it gets extremely irritating to buy a gun legally (for a fairly high price), get DM'd or die in some other non-RP related way, and then ahve to fork over more cash for another weapon. If we could have weapons as items and a way to put held weapons back into item form (it CAN be done as a long time ago I played on a server that allowed held weapons to be turned into items) then I would fully support having no spawns, since you could conceivably carry around the same weapon (taht you paid a realistic amount of money for) without needing to worry about a random DMer. Make the weapon items illegal so /drugsearch finds them and confiscates them and add some lag time coupled with a /me action for drawing the weapon item. (So like you use your AK 47 item and it says "Eric Sinclair pulls out his AK47, extending the stock and flipping the selector to full auto" and then maybe a 3-5 second wait or so after it says that so you can't pull an M60 out of your ass while the police are trying to give you a fine for littering.)

IGN: Eric Sinclair Alive?

Chief Steve Ericson: (( That's like the 3rd time the diner has been blown up )
Kumiko Hasegawa: (( i smell insurance scam ))

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2009, 16:21 
Heavy Poster

Yeah, I was worried about those random DMers making you lose your item. I also agree with everyone who says it could be in item form since it'll protect you from losing your investment from server crashes and the like. But the item form would be buggy for awhile. A complementing frisk/disarm plugin would also be needed because like you said, you can't have a sniper rifle hidden in your back pocket.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2009, 21:15 
Light Poster

i support this also, my job on the server is a weapons dealer and i rarely make a sell because everyone always has a gun from an org spawn or w/e. my 20$ an hour salary doesn't really pay for the guns that i gotta buy to sell also, meaning im spending more money than im making, obviously that's bad for a business. Moe, extremely well thought out and put. /me loves Moe's idea.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2009, 21:30 
Heavy Poster

I'm not taking credit for the idea of removing gun spawns, I'm just analyzing what would happen if it were removed and putting it down in these forums.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 15:41 
Trial Admin

But then, we should make Weapon Items (Knives should be plain and not turned into an item) take up most of your item slots so that people couldn't have a Berrett, a M4, 3 AKs, and a MP5. The delay would be sex. But then, having your weapons being holstered and it automatically turning into an item would have severe abuse, like a guy dieing with an AK-47 but switched to fists before he died so he could keep his AK. Maybe having a delay to holstering your gun?

Also, the third way to get a gun has rarely happened to me in-game, but it would increase it happening.

Character Name: Al Harringon

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 17:56 
Heavy Poster

I definetly agree to getting rid of many of the gun spawns, though of course there's the problem of server crashes, random dm's, and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I think the /item idea would definetly be cool, however another solution to this problem could be to allow orgs to only buy 1 or 2 pistol gun spawns. No AK spawns, no auto shotty spawns, just pistols.

I say this as a possible substitute for the /item idea if it turns out to not be possible or if it's not practical. This way you could arm yourself with a pistol or two, but at the same time not out-gun everyone. It really sucks to go to a 7/11 robbery or some simple domestic disturbance, and have someone pull an ak-47 (or worse, a huge arse auto-shotty) outa their butt. Would also make pistols a more popular street weapon, or at least a more common weapon. I've definetly seen more ak's and shot guns than pistols, which is quite unrealistic.

Gun dealers would definetly gain more business because pistols would be quite common, but only the PD and the dealers themselves would have access to high-powered weapons, rifles, shotguns, etc. Of course there's again the problem of keeping a gun from disappearing after you leave a server, something that the really good /item idea could fix.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 20:40 
Manager

I love the idea of keeping only pistol spawns, so that theres a means of self defense at all times, and limiting big firepower to when big firepower is needed.

[19:48] [502] Shadow Jones: God must love crazy f**k tards
[19:48] [502] Shadow Jones: Why?
[19:48] [502] Shadow Jones: Becasue he makes so many of them.

Quote:
DraconicDon: would you abduct a hobo/postman whom's IQ drops to that of a child when fed a happymeal?

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 20:44 
NukeSilo | Regular

Yes, pistols and knives only for gunspawns is a great idea. Though keep out the deagle and raging bull please.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 20:55 
Heavy Poster

I'm not entirely in favor of pistol spawns but you're right, it will make it a popular street weapon. I guess they're alright because the buying a pistol with a license is pretty cheap. But I think if an organization's gonna have a pistol spawn, it would probably be a good idea for the leader to have him pay up in order to use the spawn. The keys to the spawn would be given only to those who paid up. The new member could still have his job and such, just not access to the spawn until he raises enough money to pay for access. This means more group and organized crime will be more encouraged since the new guys would help with the higher ups since they're the ones with free weapons.

There just needs to be more strict enforcement on giving out free weapons for no reason. Pistols will just be tossed around as nothing, though.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2009, 02:06 
Manager

I'm in favor of the idea Eric described.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2009, 03:00 
Heavy Poster

Pistols are good, most of us in PD have to carry around an M4 or SMG at all times, because most of the org members are running around with AKs. If they were to be limited to pistols, we could reserve the firepower as well. There just isnt an easy way to stow a rifle, like say, in the trunk of our cruiser like a police officer normally would.

But this is definitely something to look into I think.

----------------------
Jack Johnson/Bruce Willis

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]