NukeSilo Community

It is currently 15 May 2024, 02:33

All times are UTC-05:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ] 
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2005, 23:44 
NukeSilo | Regular

Lesson One

How not to get kicked within the first five minutes.
-RP Means Role-playing. Therefore, do not simply walk down the street and murder people. Why?!?!? You may ask yourself, that is so much fun! But the reason is quite easy, it does not happen in RL.
-RL Means Real-life. Therefore, things are done in almost an exact (As close as we can get it) manner. Thus, you have money, hunger, health, and even items (cigs, lighters, drugs, phones, etc.). So the last thing you want to do is DM.
-DM means to Death-match. Therefore, you will not just kill people over and over because is does not happen in RL or in RP. If you do finally kill someone, however, be sure it is done in rp fashion.

What is a good RP Fashion?
-Good rp is done when you best immitate RL experiences that can't be obtained normally. Such as running a gang that is organized and well respected. But at the same time crude and illegal.
-You will find that if you follow RL, you will then fall into a good RP setting. Thus, jobs and money come into play.

How can I communicate with others?
-In the game, OOC means Out of character. And states whatever you say after that to everyone in the game. It is out-of-character because in RL, you cannot communicate with everyone across a town simultaineously.
*Example: You hit enter, and type," hey". This message is only said to those in the vacinity around you.
*Example: You hit enter, and type, "ooc This server owns!". This message is then seen by everyone in the server as, ((yourname: This server owns!))
-Then there are the Yell and whisper options. These are simply done like this.
*You hit enter, type, "shout freeze!". The statement is then sent to an even larger vacinity than when you just hit enter and typed.
*You hit enter, and type, "quiet Lets get em". This statement is then sent to a very small vacinity, you must be practically touching the person for them to hear you.
-Remember, ooc is not used for RPing, and should be limited greatly. Seeing as how the server is for role-playing and forums is for chatting.
-If you use ooc for part of your rp, and a person doesnt notice and something goes wrong, you are held at fault.

How do I get a job?
-Jobs are assigned by admins or job admins. The job admins are most often leaders of an organization. We also require that you make a post on the forums, using the given format.
-Many people are against posting on the forums, mostly because they believe it is slow and boring. The truth being, it takes no more than 5-10 minutes to register and make a complete application.
-Once you acquire a job, you must then conduct yourself in a manner befitting a person of that social status and position. You will also recieve the keys and items you will need to serve this job.

How can I RP my job?
-To begin, you may want to try to stay in the area of your field for the majority of the time. Ex: MCMD (Mecklenburg Medical department) Employees will need to stay in the MCMD, so that they may help people in need.
-Secondly, you need to remember your position, do not disrespect or question those with higher ranking than you, be in in the diner, or in the U.S.A Army. You could lose your job, and get a bad reputation just as it is in RL.
-Finally, you will need to conduct yourself in the manner of your job, as I said before. A Head doctor at the MCMD is unlikely to rob the diner. A police officer is unlikely to be smokin'crack or cigerettes in the PD.

Alright, now you have a job, money rollin' in. You can now focus on the important technical things about RP. Good luck in lesson two!

********************************************************************************

Lesson Two

Well, you've made it this far. So you must care about RPing right. This lesson is about Commands, and their proper use. Also items, and their proper use. Hope you learn something new!

What are commands?-Commands are quite simple. They are things you say that are linked to actions and results.
*Example: You hit enter, and type, "shout I love pie!". Th result of that is you yell that phrase.

How do I open doors?
-First, you must have a key to open a door to most buildings and rooms, unless they are for public use. If you do have the key to you door, all you must do is type, "/usedoor". Keys are usually given with jobs You must be looking at the door inself, not merely area where the door goes. Therefore, you must have your crossairs or your center of your screen on part of the door when entering the command.
-There are also illegal methods of opening doors, these methods I will leave for you to discover.

How do I get items?
-Well, you may purchase items from business such as the 7-11, by using the "/buy" command. Or, from other players. Also, you may recieve items from an admin, so that you may do your job more efficiently.
*Example: While standing infront of the employee in the 7-11; You hit enter, and type, "/buy". A menu then comes up on the left side offering you a multiple options. These options may appear as,

1.Buy an item
2.Examine items

0.Close menu

Where can I see what items I have?-It is very simple. When you recieve an item, it is place in your inventory. To view this inventory, all you must do is type "/items". You then use the coresponding numbers to find your way through the menu.

How do I use my items?-After typing, "/items", all you must do is enter the number corresponding with the item, then enter the number corresponding with the menu option. Meaning when the menu comes up, press 1.use or 2. drop. Whatever the numbers correspond with.

When should I use items?-Items are still a relatively recent addition to TSRP. These are used to better stability in an RP server. So, you should not choose to smoke weed in front of a cop, or to abuse your items.
*Example: If you are a cop, you should not simply cuff or tazer someone for no reason, that is abusing your powers and items.
-If you choose to abuser items, you may lose them, your job, or possibly/unlikely be banned.

What if it takes too long to type a command?
-Easy. Goto console (often reached by pressing ~), then enter with the quotes but without the <>, bind <key> "say /command"
*Example: you hit ~, and type, bind z "say /usedoor" and hit enter. From now on, when you press "z", the command will be issued, just as if you had typed it. This saves a great deal of time.
-The bind can be used for all other commands as well, such as /cuff, /tazer, /buy, /items.

What if I forget the commands?

-Very easy. Type, "/commands", while in-game to view a list of all the commands.

Congratulations, you have finished Lesson Two of your RP training. Lesson Three will be about server/forums information and their use. Good luck in Lesson Three!

********************************************************************************

Lesson Three

Basic Information about Forums, admins, and other important information.

What are forums?
-Forums can be defined as the following: The areas where individual discussions take place as a listing of topics. The primary significance of forums for a TSRP server is to Create a community.

Why would you need a community?
- A community allows people to know what goes on in the server and out. It keeps the participants informed on current events.
-A community forms short or long lasting friendships. This can help you become known to the Rp world, so you don't get perma'd the first time you kill someone.
-Also, people who know each other are less likely to insult, ridicule, argue, and kill each other. All of this ruins rp, when people flood ooc and such with the previously mentioned.

Why would we ask you to apply on a forums for a job?
*Note: Not all servers require forum applications, and some use a mixture of in-game and forum apps.

-Most often, when a person joins a server they are there for just a moment, ie, pubs. Pubs are those who are new to the server, and have no history or respect. These guys are likely targets of DM as soon as they get on a server, they will be discussed later.
-We use forum job applications to get to know a person, their qualifications, history, attitude, and more. We then use this information to make a discission on whether to hire you or not.

Why wouldn't you get hired?
-The most common reason people don't get a job is the importance of a job, ie. the police force. Depending on the map the server runs this could be called many different variations; MCPD, SVPD, NVPD. These positions have great responsibilities, and powers such as cuffs, tazers, and sometimes restrain. The powers could be abused just as admin could if given to an irresponsible person. By using forum apps, we more than cut the possibility of an abuser in half.
-If you have a bad history or have insulted the organization before.
-Known for DMing/RKing.
-Character type not allowed in the organization, ie Yakuza don't allow women in because of tradition.

What are admins?
-Admins are those who regulate, control, and safeguard the server. They prevent DM, abuse of position, give jobs, kick/ban, and mostly just keep the rp in good shape.
-When is it ok to insult an admin? It is never ok to insult or disrespect an admin, depending on the server. By insulting an admin you insult the server, its owners, sponsers, and others affiliated. Thus, it is almost never permitted.

How to get unbanned if you have been.

*Note: Not all servers have an unban option available.
-The forums will most likely have an area where you may post to be unbanned,remember to follow the correct format and give proper reasoning, not insults.

Alright! You have completed the basic training provided by, BaRda AzReal. Congratulations, and good luck with your TSRP future!

Lesson four will cover advanced information covering: How to begin a server, How to properly run a server, Why is it crucial to never abuse on a TSRP server even if it is your own, and a list of links to important places to download models/plugins/help topics/introduction into coding.

[/b]

Quote:
Two hours later Shultz still wondering about the night befor called up his drinking buddy Katamari and asked what happen,although katamaris speech was slurred due to being hung over shultz could still make out some of it,"durrr we weresz at teh bar and teh fat hoe be looking up at you and she be saying sumethin bout darts and indians scalpen mexicans"

Last edited by barda on 19 Oct 2005, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2005, 06:03 
NukeSilo | Light Poster

I think this would go well with my long list of Server Rules.
viewtopic.php?t=2366

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2005, 10:21 
here's another tip..don't always type those commands, bind them, by going into the consol and typing. bind <letter you want> <the command>

herre is my bin d list

bind shift "say /usedoor"
bind n "say /items"
bind b "say /buy"

you can bind your own keys, bind p "say hello" an everytime you press p it will say Yourname: Hello.

if you don't know what bind means it means.....shortcut, bind thoe commands to keys and only press that one key to activate that command instand of typing "y /usedoor" all the time, i pres shift.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2006, 08:36 

This is not supposed to be a complete RP guide. This is just some things that I have noticed in RP sessions that are either A. Unrealistic or B. Retarded.

1. Knives. Yes, we can all agree, knives are awesome. However, that doesn't mean you can throw them like an expert. I am well aware that the game does allow you to. However, have you ever thrown a knife in real life? It's really hard. So try to RP your char. For instance, some random street punk would probably not be able to throw a knife accurately at 100 feet and kill a cop. A circus performer, or someone who has practiced for a long time? Maybe. But not someone who just picked up a knife.

2. Kung Fu: We are all aware that doing a backwards running kick does 90 damage. Again, same thing with the knives: Everyone does not know kung fu or the Way of the 1000 monkeys or whatever. Maybe someone who has trained in martial arts for a while or has had military training might know more then the average person. However, if you're some gangbanger or a bum, you probably do not know how to do a dragon kick or what have you. Furthermore, when you see people running into combat backwards on purpose, fighting suddenly becomes extremely gay. Try RPing the fight.

3. Do not use CNN or OOC to advertise for an illegal buiesness. If I see one more message like "Hiredkiller10101: CALL 535-3194 TO GET RID OF SOMEONE LOL", I'll do something drastic. I dunno. Look, it's just bad form.

4. Just because it's not really you in danger does not mean that you can always be a tough guy. Look, when everyone's suddenly this hardass that doesn't talk to cops/doesn't play by the rules, life gets boring. Some people actually give up when the police arrest them. Some people will back down from a fight. Why? Because they have this burning desire to live. Being a tough guy in real life usually gets you killed, unless you're really good at it.

More will be added as I think of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2006, 03:12 
Normal Poster

He's just making a point that RP is lacking now a days. I remember when it was just a weapon restrict on a normal server. Now we have this? A ratio between RP and DM servers are about a little less than half of the servers and most servers are run by Listen or by a dedicated server ran off of the persons PC. Only about 5-9 of these servers are actually payed for and stand-alone dedicated server. Now why must we ask that RP quality is poor? As I study most servers, 1 out of 10 servers actually have some form of proper RP. I am a little hesitant on this server to actually say that it does, on my server, all people get banned or punished to be a poor RPer. Most servers don't RP. Hell, I've seen people who don't know how to do action.(AKA /me) Most of those talk like 'Omg!! j00 k1ll m3 cawt!13!'.

I study robbing in the RP world and I see it very, VERY poor. Here is the most hit case scenario in most servers. I've seen it here a lot too.

Robber robs > Cop comes > robber either kills cop or gets arrested > the cop says MOVE! about 20 times. > the robber ends up dead by jumping off a ledge or quitting, some form of jail-dodge.

Here is if the cop is a good RPer.

Robber does his thing > Cop comes > Cop says his get down stuff > robber comes out and says nothing but kills the cop. > Robber runs away > If robber is cuffed somehow he says WTF DID I DO?

Robber is good RPer

Robber robs > cop comes and shoots > robber says he has a hostage > cop kills robber. ROBBER DOES NOT GET OUT OF THIS!

5.) The /me is beautiful. Most RPers forget this now a days but /me is here to do anything you desire.
If your RPing a chef

/me sets down plate.
(Action) Shaun 'Funjob' Virgilio sets down plate,

/me's smoke droops to the ground.
(Action) Shaun 'Funjob' Virgilio 's smoke droops to the ground.

No animations or anything. Doesnt matter. /me is the best thing to do in RP.

6.)Robbers / Cops . Robbers shout, make rude remarks, say you have a hostage and threaten. Cops play along. When a officer is shot you take out the robber. /com to communicate your position. Make plans officers and carry them out. Use code names and codes like 10-4 means Message received. Don't carry a armory with you coppers. Robbers, do not just DM a cop if he's near you. Tell him to get on the ground and threaten him.

7.) The boundaries.
In real life you don't see people running, diving, J-walking, shooting weapons at random moments, and stay up at 3 am doing this. Stay on the sidewalk. Walk on the sidewalk. Keep your guns hidden. If RP is supposed to be realistic then its your job to make it be. If you can dive don't do it. Actually look in the time in RP, when my character goes to the MD for a checkup I have a time I go at.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2006, 19:37 
Nuke | Light Poster

I've noticed now-a-days that robberies are pretty... Well... Sucky. They just involve someone robbing a bank, maybe with a partner. And if a cop shows up, they just shoot at each other. Usually the only exchange of words being the police saying 'FREEZE! THIS IS THE MCPD BLAH BLAH BLAH!' and then it's just BLAM BLAM BLAM and one or the other end up dead/cuffed. Anyways, I think listing some tips for successfully RPing robberies might help out the cops and robbers both.

~Robbers~

- When robbing someplace that doesn't lock-down (i.e. Diner, In-n-Out)
don't just grab forty bucks and leave. That kind of ruins the point. That and forty bucks is chump change. What you're supposed to do is grab as much cash as you can, or all if possible.

- Of course, what makes a robbery RP EVEN BETTER... Is a hostage(s). Of course it's probably good to have a hostage that cooperates too. If there's someone else who isn't part of the robbery in the place you're holding up, you can in OOC ask them politely if they'll be a hostage for RP sake. This adds a whole new level of interaction to robbery RPs.

- And also, when you're robbing a place that 'does' lock-down (i.e. Bank, 711.), don't just hide, wait for the doors/bars to lift then obliterate anything in blue or black. It's kind of a n00bish thing to do. What you should do, is when the bars/doors lift and when the police gives you the command to come outside and all that jazz, go ahead and respond to it by shouting something back at them or something. Negotiate with them and make it last.

- Oh, and something that cops REALLY hate is when you appear as if you're giving up. Then you kick the gun out of his hand and haul it out of there. That's really annoying... (This is why it helps to have more than one cop to tackle a robbery.)

- And another important thing. You're not part of the robbery unless you're INSIDE the building. I know it seems like a good idea to snipe the cops from somewhere else and help out your partners in crime, but I think that the last time I checked, the admins don't approve of doing that.

~Police~

- Alright, now when you arrive at the location of the robbery and the robber is still inside gettin' money from the register, don't just rush in there, tazer and cuff'im. That's annoying and completley ruins the whole RP aspect of robberies. Instead, give the said robber a warning, and if he's still inside and not complying, try to send in a negotiator. If he can bring him out, good. But if he can't, give him one more warning, THEN that's the time to rush in there and nab him.

- And try to refrain from just blowin' the mother away. That's something that cops around the world generally try to refrain from doing.

- Make sure you get everyone who isn't involved in the robbery out of the area. I know that some civilians like to watch, but at least make sure they're doing it from a distance.

Well, I hope that helps out some. I'm just gettin' sick of people not RPing robberies properly.[/u]

Last edited by Fred Phox on 26 Jul 2006, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2006, 19:51 
Normal Poster

Deserves a sticky, imho.

A well written guide, Phox; I'd QFT if it wasn't so big.

Three of the most important things in here:

First - Robbers, if you've got a gun, have it out. I hate nothing more than slowly approaching a seemingly unarmed robber and trying to RP cuffing him, only to discover he's got heat packed away that he whips out and blasts with when I get too close.

Second - Would-Be Robbers who are NOT in the location when it is robbed; please, don't stand outside with an AK tucked away, waiting for the poor cops to show up so you can mow them down when they least expect it.

Third - Cops, DON'T RUSH CUFF. 'nuff said. My rule of thumb is if they're RPing, RP with them. If they aren't... well... they invented the body-bag for a reason.

Three things that I'd like to add:

Robbers - Negotiating with cops CAN be useful. Obviously, there will be times when the officers will not want to play ball; hopefully, these times grow fewer and further between with new department policies. If you negotiate, you'll be more likely to keep a cut of the money, or to avoid lengthy jail times / death. Besides, I've learnt that robberies that end with as few deaths as possible are often the most gratifying.

Cops - Set up a plan. If cops with cars are available, have them park their cars so that they provide you with cover to hide behind; it's fantastic rp, especially for bank robberies. Talk alot over com; put one cop in charge, and let him call the shots. Once again, this leads to a more successful and more gratifying experience.

Civilians - DON'T WALK IN ON ROBBERIES. PLEASE. YOU'RE NOT INVOLVED, AND YOU GENERALLY JUST MAKE LIFE HARDER FOR BOTH SIDE OF THE RP. Sorry for putting on cruise-control for cool, there, but you have no idea how often I see that.

Once more, Phox, a fantastic post, worthy of a read by pretty much every member of Nukesilo.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2006, 23:42 
NukeSilo | Regular

Fred Phox wrote:
- And try to refrain from just blowin' the mother away. That's something that cops around the world generally try to refrain from doing. [/u]

Well if the guy is shooting at me or any other officer or has a laser dot pointed right on my face ill blow him away. Cops will do that IRL. You point a gun at a cop IRL he will shoot you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2006, 23:44 
Nuke | Light Poster

Well, yeah. But I meant, don't shoot him on sight. This isn't Counter-Strike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2006, 07:57 
Manager

Thank you, Fredryk, for putting this up here for all to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2006, 12:06 
NukeSilo | Regular

Fred Phox wrote:
Well, yeah. But I meant, don't shoot him on sight. This isn't Counter-Strike.

Oh of course not. If its not the first time a cop has done that to ruin the RP and Andre or I have spoken to him about the situation i know i would demote him. And i think Andre would do the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2006, 14:14 
NukeSilo | Regular

Um...you said if a negotiator cant bring them out, you should rush in and nab him.......isnt that known as rush cuffing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2006, 14:21 
Nuke | Light Poster

khatool wrote:
Um...you said if a negotiator cant bring them out, you should rush in and nab him.......isnt that known as rush cuffing?

Rush cuffing is when an officer arrives when a robber is still taking money, and the said officer gives no warning and rushes in, cuffing/tazering him.

Now, when you've run out of options. Negotiations aren't working. He isn't cooperating. What else is there to do? Try to go in there and nab him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2006, 21:25 
Manager

*Stickied

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2006, 09:10 
NukeSilo | Regular

Very helpfull. Good job Very Happy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2006, 19:34 
NukeSilo | Light Poster

*sigh* if only vampy read this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2006, 19:58 
NukeSilo | Medium Poster

lol yea

btw

BOUT TIME SOMEONE POSTED SOMETHING LIKE THIS UP

i mean yea its old

but i havent seen a thread like this before Razz

my alt email is victorvideogameplayer@yahoo.com

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2008, 12:29 

Heh good to hear that some people are educating new RPers 8)

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2008, 08:36 
Normal Poster

you just bumped this out of two years of silence

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2008, 13:50 
Manager

Its an announcement, its kinda hard to bump announcements.

NukeSilo Head of Human Resources
GameSurge Support Operator | http://gamesurge.net - #gamesurge
Gather Network Administrator | http://gather-network.eu - #gather-network

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2008, 00:09 
Light Poster

i agree about the sniper part, i mean cops can have snipers, why cant the baddies?

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2008, 10:35 
Manager

The sniper part was added at a time when the cops were so outnumbered it was impossible for the cops to win which resulted in cops leaving to the mafia or something which only made the situation worse. We added rules to make it more fair for BOTH sides so the cops could have some fun as well instead of getting shot in the back while trying to convince the robber inside to surrender nearly every time

I'm not saying these can't be changed, but I'm just stating the logic when the rules were originally posted

NukeSilo Head of Human Resources
GameSurge Support Operator | http://gamesurge.net - #gamesurge
Gather Network Administrator | http://gather-network.eu - #gather-network

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]